MASH IT UP! TAKE 2

Mashup Take 1

For my next assignment, I chose to Take Any Two Songs (Similar Or Not) And Create A Mashup/Remix! from the audio assignment category. The task for this assignment was pretty straightforward: “Create a new mashup by combining any two songs you feel fitting for a mashup! You would be surprised at some of the results!”

A mashup, that’s just cutting up two or more songs and mushing them back together, right? Hey, I know how to do that. Or so I thought.

The project: Not uploaded because apparently I didn’t make the mashup unique enough to avoid copyright claim (How did OP’s ‘Rude Boy’ elude the CC police?)

I spent hours and hours attempting to mash two songs together, only to end up with two songs that basically just switched back and forth between each other, so it was an all around fail. If this assignment comes up in the future, I’ll need an audio crash course before attempting it again.

Mashup Take 2

FOR MY NEXT ASSIGNMENT, I CHOSE DS106 MASHUP FROM THE MASHUP ASSIGNMENT CATEGORY. I’M DOING A MASHUP, DAGGONE IT. WHY AM I SHOUTING?

Ahem. I’m a little salty that I had to start over, but nevertheless, I had fun with this assignment. The task for this assignment was to “Take any 2 (or more) creations from any category of assignment that another student has posted and mash them up into something new and original.”

MASHUP POWER aaaaaaaand post! ~~~>

Success! I mashed and mushed several creations from the class into one 80’s poster. I was originally inspired by Yara Saleh’s post, Come to the 80’s Movie Party! where she created an 80’s themed event poster. I think she did a great job coming up with design elements, especially since she says she struggles with design. I really thought about this quote from her: “I don’t know how professionals in society and social media do this constantly. It takes an extreme amount of patience, creativity, and hard work.”
Well, that’s certainly true! But with everything, it just takes practice.

There are many key concepts to keep in mind when creating design, (they are listed on the cover in the top right of the below image) but I’ve found that the number 1 idea is to treat type as you would imagery. This took me awhile to understand. Yes, type should be readable. But it serves another purpose- it draws the viewers eye to the page. It should be a point of visual interest, so really think about what typeface to use and how to use it. For anyone who wants a crash course on design, I recommend the book, “Design Elements: A Graphic Style Manual,” by Timothy Samara. It gives many great examples, and it was the book I used when I took design foundations at GMU a couple of years ago.

Hey UMW- add a design program! Just a thought!

The Process:

To get into the nitty gritty of my poster creation though, I first had to decide which creations I wanted to use. I knew that I wanted Yara’s event poster as my base. I then needed to take elements from other creations and layer them over top. I decided on Mckayla Washington’s piece from her post, Micheal Jackson, Showtime!, Lauren Perez’s creation, Maybe I misspoke…, Blue Butterball’s piece, A Message From The 80s, Hinoiri’s piece, 8-bit Heather, and finally as a unique non-visual-turned-visual design element, I used code from Yara’s post, Too lazy to solve math equations? This program will help!

I worked back and forth between layers, so rather than talking about what I did first, I’ll talk through the layers and describe how the elements were manipulated.

  • Event poster: I erased everything except for the sun and mountains. I kept the black BG and made the mountains ‘pop’ by deleting the purple gradient and letting the black show through.
  • Micheal Jackson poster: Deleted everything but the blue. In essence, I made a ‘cutout’ of the elements. I kept the “80’s” element though and put it on a separate layer behind the blue cutout layer. I set the opacity to ‘Hard Mix.’ That’s what gives it the colorful outline effect.
  • Morpheus: I created many duplicates of this layer and did a different effect to each element. The part over the sun is a ‘Screen’ opacity. For the body and hands I did Filter > Pixelate > Mezzotint. The type I left alone except for moving it near the top to balance out the “80’s” text.
  • The computer: I used selective color and levels in Image Adjustments to bring in a pop of color to contrast with my other colors.
  • The 8-bit image: I believe I used perspective and warp to form it to the screen, although one should play around with the other options like skew and distort.
  • The code: I used the font ‘Press Start 2P’ from Google Fonts. After adjusting size and spacing and all that good stuff, I placed it behind Morpheus, rasterized my type layer, and erased the parts that were obfuscating Morpheus.

And there you have it- a mashup of everyone’s sweat, tears, and sleepless nights all rolled up into one radical design. Tubular!

This Post Has 5 Comments

  1. Woah! This is crazy cool! I love that you were inspired by my things! My suite-mate helped me with the poster, and she was just as excited to see our poster evolved into something amazing!

  2. I love this so much! I feel honored that my 8-bit image made it into this masterpiece. ♥ I absolutely adore what you made.

Leave a Reply


The maximum upload file size: 150 MB.
You can upload: image, audio, video, document, spreadsheet, interactive, text, archive, code, other.

Close Menu